Helping hand



Woke up early and headed to Ayase to assist in giving food to refugees. We were told that there were approx 300 refugees in the shelter, although I don’t think I saw that many. Maybe only half that ventured outside for the food. When I saw the first few refugees, I felt like crying, as for the first time, the images on TV were now real. These people were wearing what were probably the only clothes they had, and likely donated clothes too. There were appreciative and humble and just wanted to keep their heads down.

There was a lot of media hovering around and that probably deterred many from venturing outside. The first people who came out just wanted to eat, but had TV cameras in their faces. I was interviewed and it was aired on TV on Sunday evening.

I read that more than 200,000 people are living in temporary shelters